BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 28, 2009

On blogging

In the last year, I've been more frequent in my blog posts. What started out as a blog to publish literary analyses quickly transformed into a platform where I could also discuss gender, sexuality, sexism, feminism, race and racism. I have created a space in which I can vent about how much the world sucks, and how awesome people are in it despite that it sometimes sucks. I can be an ally to people of all sexualities and genders.

And I can still write about books, on occasion (though China Mieville's seem to dominate).

For me, this is a space in which I can express myself, support my fellow bloggers, and discuss current issues that affect me as a woman and ally. This is just another form of writing which I have embraced in my self-expression.

I have spent countless hours writing for this site, customizing my space, and even creating my own artwork for its banner. To me, this is the most rewarding work I've done.

And yeah, it doesn't pay money. But it pays in other ways. I've found an awesome support network from readers of this blog, and readers of other blogs, and writers of other blogs who read this blog. I find the majority of the comments rewarding (excluding the occasional troll who doesn't get past the moderation).

And simply because there's no monetary reward doesn't diminish the work I put into this space. It's still work.

I'm a writer. This is not a hobby; it's a very important part of my identity because writing is the one thing I have to do. If I've gone a long period without writing, be it a post, a poem, a short story--even a little something in my journal--I feel empty, hollow. I feel restless, like I've lost something. It's like something is very very wrong.

So to my critics (some of whom I know in my personal life), my writing is mine, and I will do with it as I wish. I may not be free of your judgment, but I will not compromise myself because of it.

6 comments:

Maud said...

So to my critics (some of whom I know in my personal life), my writing is mine, and I will do with it as I wish. I may not be free of your judgment, but I will not compromise myself because of it.

Loud applause!!! Cheers!!! Foot-stamping!!! Two-fingered Whistling!!! (I can't actually whistle IRL. But I can damn sure internet-whistle)

Brava for Filthy Grandeur, the writer!

luvandfamily said...

BRAVO!!!! Let the critics take there eyes to something else if they don't like what they're reading on your blog. A blog is a personal space. I love my space and the avenues it lets me go down. I thank you for starting your blog which in turn helped me decide which direction and meaning I wanted in mine. I'm proud of you and blogger you've become. Blog on, I say, BLOG ON!!
Mommy Grandeur

Ssejors said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

FilthyGrandeur said...

you can't see it, but i'm taking an internet-bow. :)

amanda said...

And don't they forget it.

Anonymous said...

As you describe, blogging is truly a labor of love, and when we have critics, that can be a real downer. However, I am glad you persist despite it all. Your voice is valuable and necessary.