BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, August 21, 2009

How do I love thee, genitalia?

To kick off my posting at SexGenderBody, I've decided to share my sonnets, which some people have already seen. I wrote them both in fun, but I think it's a good way to begin a conversation about our private areas. I often take for granted the level of comfort I have with my own body, and would like other people to achieve comfort with their own bodies. I don't feel that subjects regarding our bodies should be taboo, and that includes activities involving our bodies (yeah, I'm talking about sex and masturbation people!).

Anyway, these sonnets (check the meter and rhyme scheme if you want--they're sonnets!) are written specifically to a penis and vagina, respectively. You can view their original postings here and here.


"There never was a member so defined..."

There never was a member so defined
By manliness manifested by so great a spear,
Which enraptures all, and weakens minds
In its skill and evocation of fear.
So great it is, both in length and power
That one falls prey to its thrust;
And what can it be called short of "spectacular,"
But one finds there are no words so just.
So praise unto this wonderful cock,
Which elicits pleasure and desire;
Where others can pityingly mock,
This magnificent one never tires.
So masculine, Herculean, and hard,
It is luscious, lavish, and unmarred.


In the above sonnet, I purposely use archetypal masculine imagery to epitomize traditional ideas of maleness. In a way, I've chosen to mock the idea of the source of manliness being the penis. I also wanted to sort of reclaim a form of poetry dominated primarily by men--and to also get to the source of the "carpe diem" poetry (mainly the ones whose morals are as follows: life is short, so have sex now). I wrote the sonnet a year before I posted it on my blog, in response to Renee's post at Womanist Musings about being a dickist. Smart ass that I am, I simply couldn't resist.

I thought it only fair to similarly honor my lady parts. Again, this is meant to be funny, and, again, I deliberately use archetypal language describing my vagina. I also acknowledge that my referencing a famous white American artist holds connotations of it's own, but please realize that her paintings are well-known for their vagina imagery.


"Soft pillows of flesh tucked unseen..."

Soft pillows of flesh tucked unseen
Blossoming petals, blooms uncurl
From a center of pleasure wrapped between
Minora, majora, a delicate pearl.
A brilliant structure, support of lattice,
Of Nature, reflecting the natural,
An arch, an arbor--a trellis,
Echoing the seasons, it epitomizes cycle.
Flourished paint strokes, slick with color
It arouses inspiration and greatness
In artists mimicking the gossamer,
And in others, simply faintness.
So superb a chalice, and rose motif
Is exemplified best by Georgia O'Keefe.

In both of these sonnets I've purposely used gendered language that reflects traditional ideas of how gender is tied to these perceived sources of masculinity and femininity. I also like to play with the sounds of words to affect overall perception--the first having harsher consonant sounds, the second relying heavily on softer ones.

Our bodies are beautiful, and are deserving of praise, even the parts we keep hidden.

crossposted

7 comments:

luvandfamily said...

Filthy Grandeur is BACK! I love it!!!

Ssejors said...

Wow! Your sonnets are beautiful. I really liked them. Very well written and cute. And I don't mean cute in a childish sort of way. I suppose I mean Pretty. As you read through you have this definite clarity of what you are reading ABOUT, as though the poem itself is a vagina itself.

Oh <3 Georgia O'keefe!

"Minora, majora, a delicate pearl." LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Our bodies are beautiful, and are deserving of praise, even the parts we keep hidden.

The irony being, feminists only believe this about FEMALE bodies.

There's no shortage of shame and insult for the male ones.

FilthyGrandeur said...

@Anonymous--

I have to call your reading comprehension into question, seeing as how the first sonnet was entirely about a decidedly MALE part, upon which I lavished praise. stop lumping me in with your convoluted perception of feminists and stay the fuck off my site if you're going to insist on being an insufferable moron.

bike groggette said...

awe. some.

Anonymous said...

I have to call your reading comprehension into question, seeing as how the first sonnet was entirely about a decidedly MALE part, upon which I lavished praise. stop lumping me in with your convoluted perception of feminists and stay the fuck off my site if you're going to insist on being an insufferable moron.

Of course, your mocking, insulting sarcastic tone was just for flavor, right?

FilthyGrandeur said...

i suppose one could say that